I think the recession has hit all of us pretty hard and these days shopping for groceries can be quite expensive. As a public service to those of you who may find a great deal on monkey meat at the local supermarket, or possibly live near a zoo, here is a recipe for...
Le Singe A La Tomate (Monkey with tomato sauce)
- Soak the smoked monkey meat in water, then rinse and drain it.
- Fry tomatoes, onions and chile pepper in hot palm oil.
- Add tomato paste and the monkey meat.
- Simmer until all is tender.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- (Recipe from congocookbook.com)
The recipe calls for it to be cooked until tender, but I like it nice and sticky. For wine choices, I think it depends on the monkey. If he were a young impish little scamp, I would go with a recent Beaujolais Nouveau. For an older monkey who thought he would live out the rest of his life on a nature preserve and didn't see that guy with the crescent-wrench sneaking up behind him, maybe a 8-10 year old Cabernet Sauvignon.